Some people want to lose weight or maintain their current weight, but don’t know how to incorporate exercise into their weight management plan. In addition, a few of us are also too busy to go to the gym. How can you find the time and space to burn off extra calories to support a healthy weight?
For starters, transform your home into your personal gym! Clear out a space in your living room and prepare to stretch and sweat. These basic moves, if done correctly, are effective in burning fats and trimming your waistline!
NOTE: You need to complete two sets of each exercise, 10 to 15 repetitions per set. You can rest for a minute in-between and make sure to do your proper breathing.
Exercise #1: Chair Squat
This move will help you build up the strength in your entire lower body – glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves – while engaging your core. To do this:
1. Stand facing away from the front of a chair. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart, with toes pointing straight ahead.
2. Bend your knees and lower your hips. Gently tap the chair with your butt, but do not sit.
3. You can lift your arms out for extra balance.
4. Push up through the heels and go back to the first position.
Exercise #2: Stationary Lunge
A stationary lunge is very helpful in targeting your glutes. It can also improve your balance and body alignment. You can do this by:
1. Stand up with the right leg in front and both hands placed at your hips. Keep your right foot flat on the ground and the left foot on its toes.
2. Bend your knees and lunge.
3. Stop only when your right thigh is parallel to the floor.
4. Push up and go back to the first position.
5. Repeat this exercise with your left leg in front and right leg back.
Exercise #3: Bridge
Did you know that this type of exercise can provide many health benefits? Performing this exercise can boost flexibility, reduce knee and back pain, boost your booty, strengthen your core, improve balance, relieve back pain, among others.
How to do a bridge?
1. Lie on your back with knees raised and feet flat.
2. Lift your bottoms from the floor with your thighs and inner feet parallel.
3. Slowly return to the starting position and repeat.
Exercise #4: Straight-Leg Donkey Kick
Donkey kicks are known to be beneficial for stability and toning. It also helps to strengthen your core and shoulder muscles.
1. Get on all fours, with your hands aligned with your shoulders and your knees aligned with your hips.
2. Push your right foot out while imagining a wall behind you to keep your leg straight.
3. Your foot should remain flexed (toes pointing down to the floor) throughout. Take care to keep your hips square to the ground. Squeeze your buttocks at the top.
4. Return to the starting position. Repeat on the other leg.
Exercise #5: Bird Dog
This simple exercise helps to improve stability, spine health, and may relieve lower back pain. It also promotes proper posture.
1. Kneel on the ground with your knees hip-width apart and hands firmly on the ground.
2. Stretch one arm and extend the opposite leg behind you, forming a straight line from your extended hand to the extended foot.
3. Return to the original position in step 1. Switch to the other side.
Exercise #6: Forearm Plank
The forearm plank strengthens the abs, legs, and core. It is also good for stretching the arches of your feet, as well as the calves, shoulders, and hamstrings.
1. Start lying face down on the floor with your forearms flat on the ground. Make sure that your elbows are directly under the shoulders.
2. Raise your body up off the ground.
3. Engage your core and keep your body in a straight line – avoid letting your hips rise or drop.
4. Breathe and hold for 30 to 60 seconds.
Exercise #7: Side-Lying Hip Abduction
Hip abduction exercises help to improve stability and agility. It aids in preventing knee pain and can be done anywhere with a flat surface.
- Lie on your left side, with your left leg straight, right leg straight, and right foot resting on the ground.
- Lift your right leg up, maintaining the position of your body. Make sure your hips don’t open up.
- Return to the start position. Perform the desired number of reps, then repeat for the other side.
Exercise #8: Bicycle Crunch
Dreaming of having six-pack abs? Then start doing bicycle crunches every day! Adding bicycle crunches to your workout routine helps to increase core strength, slims down your waist, and improves your stability and flexibility.
1. Lie on your back, lift your shoulders off the mat, and raise both legs.
2. Bring one knee and the opposing elbow close to each other by crunching to one side, and fully extend the other leg.
3. Return to the starting position and then crunch to the opposite side.
4. Repeat until the set is complete.
Exercise #9: Plank to Downward Dog
Planking tones your upper body, abs, glutes, and legs, while Downward Dog stretches your hamstrings and back.
- Start on your hands and knees. Keep your shoulders directly above your wrists and your hips over your knees.
- Tuck your toes under and straighten your legs. Your core should be engaged. Don’t let your back sag or your shoulders scrunch up toward your ears. Relax your head and neck.
- Press your hips and butt back. Push away slightly with your arms as you engage your core. You’ll be in an inverted V-shaped pose.
Exercise #10: Knee Pushup
Knee push-ups activate muscle groups throughout your upper body, including your triceps, pecs, and shoulders.
- Get into a high plank position from your knees.
- Maintain a straight line from your head to your knees, bend your elbows to lower yourself down to the ground. Keep your elbows at a 45-degree angle.
- Push back up to start.
Great leaps come from small steps. Do these basic exercises repeatedly and reap the benefits of a healthy and fit body!
Sunrider Nutritional Supplements for Your Fitness Routine
Drink Fortune Delight® as part of your post-workout regimen! Replenish your energy with this natural herbal beverage to help your body support energy without a sugar or caffeine “crash”. This drink is also zero fat, sugar, preservatives, or artificial sweeteners.
You can also add Evergreen® to your post-workout beverage. Evergreen® helps to shorten your recovery time after exercise and decrease post-workout soreness by supporting the transport of oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.
To purchase Sunrider’s herbal products, contact your local Sunrider office for more information.
For more fitness tips from Sunrider, click here.