Hear from Patt from Sunrider Thailand as she shares one of her favorite Thai dessert recipes known as Thai Pumpkin Custard with a healthy twist!
Sankaya or Thai Pumpkin Custard is a Thai-style inside out pumpkin pie in which a lightly sweetened coconut milk and egg custard is steamed inside of a hollowed-out pumpkin.
The pumpkin custard is a perfect balance of texture, comprising of the soft and silky egg custard accompanied by tender pumpkin flesh. This sweet treat will definitely be a hit for your kids as an after-meal dessert!
To start your Thai Pumpkin Custard dessert, you will need the Kabocha squash. Kabocha squash is the traditional gourd that is frequently used for this recipe. This is because Kabocha slices much easier than pumpkin. Otherwise, you can consider replacing it with tiny pumpkin for single and self-contained portions!
Did you know that one cup of pumpkin can give you 200% of your recommended daily vitamin A intake? This means that by having a cup of Thai Pumpkin Custard, you can receive the benefits of healthy eyesight, especially in low-light conditions. Moreover, pumpkins offer Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Iron, and Folate, all of which strengthens your immune system.
More pumpkin in your diet can help your immune cells work better to ward off germs and speed healing when you get a wound.
On top of that, by adding NuPlus® to the Thai Pumpkin Custard, your nutritional gaps will be filled with micronutrients to balance your body as it contains various herbs such as soy protein, Chinese yam and fox nut!
Are you ready to prepare this nutritious and appetizing Thai Pumpkin Custard dessert? Check out the ingredients required and how you can make this tasty dessert for your loved ones at home!
- 1 small pumpkin (*Please take note to thoroughly clean it, pierce the stem of the fruit, discard the seed and clean inside thoroughly and let dry)
- 4 Eggs
- 200g Palm sugar
- 250g Coconut milk
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 pk NuPlus®
1.Mix eggs, palm sugar, coconut milk and salt in one big bowl
2. Mix the ingredients with your hands until the mixture is smooth and creamy
3. Shift the ingredients and make sure there are no lumps inside the mixture, and fill the prepared pumpkin.
4. Add in a sachet of Nuplus® and stir the mixture with a spoon or a whisk.
5. Pour the smooth and creamy mixture into the hollowed-out pumpkin
6. Steam the pumpkin with the egg custard in the microwave for 10-15 minutes over very high heat until cooked.
If you do not have a microwave, you can steam the pumpkin with egg custard in the steamer for 45 minutes on high heat.
7. Allow the Thai Pumpkin Custard to cool first before consuming, and enjoy!